Nothing drives Floridians indoors faster than a swarm of mosquitoes. They’re more than a nuisance, however — they can also be a danger to your family’s health.
Prevent Mosquitoes Around Your Home This Spring
Early Intervention is Your Best Opportunity to Prevent Mosquitoes
Where to Look to Prevent Mosquitoes Around Your Home This Spring
- Containers, such as flower pots, barrels, and pet dishes.
- Toys, such as tire swings, bikes with baskets, and upturned frisbees.
- Gutters, if clogged with leaves and other debris.
- Lawn debris, such as leaf piles.
- Low spots on the lawn or near the foundation of your home.
- Overgrown or shaded areas.
- Uncovered pools or hot tubs.
Steps to Take to Prevent Water From Collecting
- Remove unnecessary containers.
- Drill holes in necessary containers to allow water to disperse.
- Put toys away when not in use.
- Clean out your gutters.
- Remove lawn debris whenever it collects.
- Fill low spots in your lawn or create a drainage system that directs water away from your lawn.
- Cut back overgrowth and keep the foundation of your home free of excess moisture.
- Cover pools and hot tubs with tight-fitting covers when not in use.
The Best Way to Prevent Mosquitoes Around Your South Florida Home This Spring